BEHIND THE COLLECTION: THE MORRISON
Our Morrison collection was named after the Portland's historic Morrison Street Bridge. The bridge was instrumental in how the city of Portland, Oregon was formed. Built in 1887 the Morrison was the first bridge to connect the east and west banks of Portland. The connection sparked a huge growth in East Portland and soon streetcars linked the two areas. The Morrison was used so frequently that the original wooden truss bridge was replaced in 1905 and again in 1958. Today the Morrison Bridge stands among many other crossings that connect the city across the Willamette River.